A voluntary recall of certain prepared foods containing raw onions is under way at 17 Whole Foods Markets in Florida, including in Tampa.
Customers are being asked to throw out certain foods (see list below) and return to their local Whole Foods with the receipt for a refund. The items would have been bought between July 7 and July 27.
Although no one has reported becoming ill from eating the products, there is a concern about the quality of raw yellow onions in the fresh food items. The store announced that the onions may be contaminated with Listeria monocytogenes contamination. The recall was initiated by Gills Onions, which processed the yellow onions.
Listeria monocytogenes is an organism that may cause serious or fatal infections in vulnerable populations, including young children, pregnant women, frail or elderly people, and others with weakened immune systems.
Healthy individuals may suffer high fever, severe headache, stiffness, nausea, abdominal pain and diarrhea.
Here is the list of items recalled:
- Baby Shrimp Salad
- Beet & Goat Cheese Salad with Raspberry Vinaigrette
- Beet Dressing
- Chunky Ranch Vegetable Salad No Oil Added
- Conch Salad
- Cranberry Tuna Salad Roll
- Family Sized Savings Thousand Island Potato Salad
- Miso Dressing
- Miso Kissed Cukes
- New York City Corned Beef On Rye
- Pasta with Long Beans & Arame in Creamy Beet Vinaigrette
- Ranch Dressing No Oil Added
- Ranch Iceberg Salad Wedge No Oil Added
- Russian Coleslaw
- Russian Salad
- Santa Fe Turkey Salad No Oil Added
- Seasonal Succotash
- Shrimp Salad Sandwich
- Shrimp with Snow Peas
- Soy & The Sea
- Tempeh Salad
- Thousand Island Chicken Salad
- Thousand Island Chicken Salad Roll
- Thousand Island Chicken Salad Sandwich
- Thousand Island Potato Salad
- Thousand Island Shrimp Salad
- Thousand Island Surimi
- Thousand Island Surimi Crab Salad Roll
- Thousand Island Surimi Salad
- Three Bean Salad
- Tofu Japonaise
- Tuna with Cranberries Salad Sandwich
- Tuna with Sun-Dried Cranberries
- Tuna with Sun-Dried Cranberries & Lemon
- Turkey Spring Roll
For more information on the onion recall visit: http://www.fda.gov/Safety/Recalls/default.htm. Customers with questions about the recall may contact the customer service desk at their local store.