If you drive past the SunTrust Bank building in downtown Tampa on your way home from work, you might have noticed that the building has lit up blue.
The color represents SunTrust’s partnership in Make May Moffitt Month, a month-long campaign to raise cancer awareness and money for cancer research at .
Tampa Mayor Bob Buckhorn proclaimed this month Make May Moffitt Month on May 1. Throughout the month, Moffitt will partner with businesses and individuals in the Tampa Bay area to offer promotions and cancer education, according to a press release from Moffitt. The SunTrust building, for example, will shine blue today, and then again May 6-8.
“We are honored to participate with Moffitt during this week,” said Terri-Lynn Mitchell, the district manager of Property Management at Stiles Property Management, in the release. The company also lit the building to honor Colorectal Cancer Awareness Month and to recognize ovarian cancer research efforts at Moffitt.
According to the release and website, here are other ways you can Make May Moffitt Month:
- Throughout May — Buffalo Wild Wings in Brandon, Riverview, Fort Myers, Lakeland, Sarasota, North Port and St. Petersburg will offer customers an opportunity to purchase a $5 Make May Moffitt Month bracelet and receive 10 percent off their bill each time they visit the store. All proceeds benefit Moffitt. Last year, the bracelet sales raised $10,800 for research efforts at Moffitt.
- Throughout May — Text MOFFITT to 50555 to make a $5 donation to Moffitt. Standard text message charges apply.
- May 5 – Swim Across America is bringing its open-water swim to Florida’s Gulf Coast. Nearly 200 swimmers have signed up for the one-mile swim from Pier 60 in Clearwater. The one-mile swim begins at 8:35 a.m. and the half-mile swim begins at 8:45 a.m., with money benefiting a melanoma project at Moffitt. Olympic Gold Medalist Brooke Bennett is chairing the fundraiser. This is an event for the entire family.
- May 12 — PNC Bank Miles for Moffitt, which will be at the , is anticipating 6,000 participants this year. The race begins at 7:30 a.m. The event—which includes a five-mile wheelchair, five-mile, 5K, one-mile and Kids Dash races—has raised more than $800,000 since 2006. Registration will close at midnight on May 6. Listen to Clear Channel Radio Stations U.S. 103.5 FM and Mix 100.7 FM until May 4 for PNC Bank Miles for Moffitt contest giveaways both on the air and online. Listen to win prizes such as $100 PNC Visa Gift Cards, $100 Columbia Restaurant Gift Cards, Evan Longoria Tampa Bay Rays ticket, ball and batting practice package, luggage donated by AAA and more.
- May 26 — Paddle Against Cancer will help pay for vital research, education and patient care at Moffitt Cancer Center. The three- or seven-mile Paddle Against Cancer takes place at 9:30 a.m. at The Club at Treasure Island. Following the paddle, from noon until 4 p.m., there will be a poolside celebration with live music, a silent auction, free paddleboard demos, food and a cash bar. For more information, call Gene Evans at 727-288-7390.
For more information about Make May Moffitt Month and the benefits of participating, call Dan Minor in the Foundation at 813-745-3192.