The Academy of the Holy Names is a Catholic, independent, co-ed elementary school and college preparatory high school for girls. Founded in 1881, The Academy is the oldest school in Tampa and the second oldest high school in Florida.
The Academy was established by The Sisters of the Holy Names of Jesus and Mary (SNJM) and is part of a larger SNJM network which includes schools in Canada, California, Oregon, Washington and New York.
The school was first located on Zack Street in a former blacksmith shop and had 35 students. The school moved several times over the years to accommodate increased enrollment, but has been in its current location on an 18-acre campus on Bayshore Boulevard since 1928. The Academy currently has over 850 students.