New Property Tax Exemption for Deployed Active Duty Military Personnel Is Now Available
This law provides an additional property tax exemption for certain members of the United States military.
From Hillsborough County Government Online:
On Nov. 2, 2010, Florida voters approved Amendment 2. This law provides an additional property tax exemption for certain members of the United States military who have been deployed to selected areas of operation outside the continental United States, Alaska, or Hawaii in support of military operations and who received a homestead exemption on their home in 2011.
In order to apply for the Property Tax Exemption for Deployed Active Duty Military, those deployed during 2011 must complete a Deployed Military Exemption Application And Verification Of Deployment and submit it to the Hillsborough County Property Appraisers Office by March 1.
This new amendment, approved by Florida voters on Nov. 2, 2010, does not set a tax dollar amount to be exempt. It is based on the time deployed during the preceding calendar year.
Those interested in the Property Tax Exemption for Deployed Active Duty Military Personnel for 2011 deployments, should contact the Property Appraiser’s Office by email at email@example.com or by phone at 813-272-6969.
Active Duty Military Personnel deployed in 2010 can still apply for the Active Military Combat Duty Grant directly through Hillsborough Count’s Veterans Affairs Office, 10119 Windhorst Road in Tampa. Deadline to apply is Dec. 31, 2012.
Applicants may receive up to a $1,500 grant to help pay for their property taxes if they reside in unincorporated Hillsborough County. In order to apply for the 2010 Active Military Combat Duty Grant, applicants must meet the following requirements:
- Must have been deployed in 2010, and in receipt of Hostile Fire/Imminent Danger Pay for a minimum of 45 days during 2010. Leave and Earning Statements are the preferred documentation for this requirement.
- Must own a home in Hillsborough County with Homestead Exemption in place for the same year of deployment. Proof of this will be on your property tax receipt.
- Must be able to produce a paid property tax receipt.
- Must Complete a Substitute W-9 Form.
- Must Complete an Application for the Hillsborough County Active Military Combat Duty Grant.
For information on the County’s Active Military Combat Duty Grant and application process for those deployed during 2010, contact Hillsborough County Veterans Affairs Office at 813-975-2181.